How did I ever forget the deliciousness of avocado crema? In honor of a past Cinco de Mayo, I whipped this up as a dip but you could also use the crema as a topping for anything where you want to add a boost of flavor.
It tastes great with eggs, vegetarian burgers, zucchini fritters or fish. It is the perfect accompaniment to taco night on a warm summer evening.
I used a bit of yogurt to add extra creaminess. However, if you cannot have dairy, leave it out and replace with water. Usually I use limes but since I did not have any on hand, I used meyer lemons which add a really nice sweet floral flavor.
My kids love the crema especially my little one who usually does not like avocado, making it a win-win for everyone 🌟.
If you are trying to go light on the chips, don’t forget your watermelon radishes-healthier and oh so pretty.
Free from: tree nuts, peanut, sesame, gluten, egg. *Dairy-free option- see notes below
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for about 1 day
- 2 medium size avocados, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 small lemon or lime
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup cilantro tops ( You can use parsley or a combination of parsley & cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon full fat yogurt. *See Notes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
Blend all ingredients into a mini-food processor until smooth and creamy, for at least 30 seconds.
Serve with zucchini fritters, tacos, burgers, fish, as a dip with veggies and chips or eat by the spoonful.
• If you cannot have dairy, leave out yogurt and replace with water. Start with 1 tablespoon or add enough to desired consistency.