Hi friends! I’m very pleased to share a recipe using Oaktown Spice Shop‘s Chile Limon. This blend combines the heat of Turkish chile and coriander with the tartness of lime juice and sea salt. I can’t think of a better way to showcase these flavors together than in a fruity summer salsa.
I chose mango as the base to this salsa because mango, lime and chile have always been a classic summer time combination. The smoked Spanish paprika found in Chile Limon balances out the sweetness of mangoes. Smoked paprika is a Spanish cousin to the more widely used sweet Hungarian paprika. It is made from pimiento peppers that have been dried and smoked over an oak fire, then ground into a fine powder.
You will sometimes see it called pimenton but you can always recognize this spice by its deep red color and powerful smoky aroma, which sparkle amidst the colors of this salsa, tying all the flavors together.
I’ve also soaked the red onions in lime juice to help the acid from the limes macerate or soften the harshness of raw red onion .
The salsa tastes great with chips but, as shown in this post, can serve as a light vegetarian meal. It also tastes delicious with fish. For additional toppings, include black beans, avocado, fresh corn, sprouts or garnish with more cilantro. Top it with yogurt or sour cream and dinner is done, just in time for Taco Tuesday.
For more information or to order online, visit Oaktown Spice Shop.
Happy Summer ❤️
Top 8 Free
Makes about 3 cups
- ½ cup red onion, fine dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, separated
- 3 ripe mangoes, diced, about 2 cups packed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, stems removed and quartered
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped. You should have ¼ cup after chopping.
- ½ teaspoon jalapeno pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1 tsp Oaktown Spice Chile Limon (optional) *See Notes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a small mixing bowl, combine red onion with 1 tablespoon lime juice( from ½ lime). Mix and let sit for 15 minutes. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine mangoes, cherry tomatoes, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro leaves, jalepeno pepper, chile limon , salt and olive oil. Toss to coat. Add red onions with their juice. Stir to incorporate. For best flavor, let sit for at least an hour in the refrigerator. The flavors will become more pronounced over time. Serve at room temperature.
- The salsa will stay fresh stored in the refrigerator up until the next day.
- If you cannot find chile limon seasoning, feel free to leave out or use sumac or aleppo pepper.
- If you are making this for kids, I leave out the jalapeño. It still tastes delicious!