In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I made this avocado crema as a dip but you could also use the crema as a topping to a variety of foods such as eggs, vegetarian burgers, zucchini fritters or fish. It’s the perfect accompaniment to taco night.
I used a bit of yogurt to add extra creaminess. You can also make it dairy free by replacing yogurt with water or any plant based yogurt. Usually I use limes but since I did not have any on hand, I used lemons which work just as nice.
My kids love the crema especially my little one who usually does not like avocado, making it a win-win for everyone 🌟.
If you are trying to go light on chips, use veggies like watermelon radishes, carrots and cucumbers.
I like to serve this on top of quesadillas when I’m too tired to cook. You can also serve it with my Mexican Rice or Sweet Potato Cakes or tacos. Add jalapeño pepper to make it spicy (see notes below). We make it for the kids and leave out the spice.
If you make this avocado crema, tag me on Instagram or leave a comment below. I love hearing from you 💚
Free from: tree nuts, peanut, sesame, gluten. *Dairy-free option- see notes below
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Best served day of. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for about 1 day
- 2 medium size avocados, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup cilantro tops ( parsley or a combination of parsley & cilantro is fine)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon full fat yogurt. *See Notes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
Blend all ingredients into a mini-food processor until smooth and creamy, for at least 30 seconds.
Serve with fritters, tacos, burgers, fish, as a dip with veggies and chips or eat by the spoonful.
Adjust to taste with more lemon juice and salt.
- To make dairy free, omit yogurt and replace with water. Start with 1 tablespoon or add enough to desired consistency. Or substitute with your favorite plant based yogurt.
- For a spicy version, add 1-2 jalapeño pepper(s), chopped( de-seeded for less spicy) with above ingredients and blend.
- If you are not a huge cilantro fan, reduce to 1/4- 1/3 cup.